Phase 1 (04/2013-03/2016)
By implementing technically, economically and ecologically best fit practices in agriculture and by using up-to-date inputs in the fields of machinery, seeds, fertilizers and pesticides, Mongolian potato farms are able to benefit from a sustainable increase of their productivity and income. Stakeholders in the agricultural sector are familiarized with state-of-the-art technologies of sustainable agriculture in the Mongolian steppes and act as multiplicators disseminating them in their working environment (universities, extension services, vocational institutes). A specific focus of the project is to implement modern and sustainable practice to grow potatoes and grain.
- Set up of two demonstration farms for technology transfer and training,
- Introduction, supervision and evaluation of field trials and demonstrations to generate sustainable cultivation and storage methods for potatoes and grain, incl. appropriate use of pesticides and fungicides, crop rotation, soil fertility, etc. in line with the Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
- Organisation of field days, incl. a potato day, in cooperation with the Mongolian Farmers Association for Rural Development (MFARD) in which mainly potato farmers are organized and the Plant Science and Agricultural Research Institute which started with mini tuber production (potato production, potato variety trials, crop rotation)
- Organisation of practical trainings for farmers, staff of advisory services, training centres and multiplicators on issues related to GAP: use of modern inputs, use and maintenance of agricultural machinery, production of potatoes, grain, oil seeds and fodder crops and management of agricultural enterprises
- Organisation of workshops on selected topics such as seed sector, agricultural financing, risk management and sustainable soil cultivation
- Training of Trainers (ToT) for trainers of agricultural colleges
- Close cooperation for the field trials and trainings with the Mongolian Agricultural State University, the leading scientific training centre in the field of agriculture in Mongolia, which includes departments dedicated to plant breeding and seed multiplication
- Close cooperation with the Mongolian private sector, incl. with the most important seed potato multiplier in Mongolia which also plays a crucial role in the commercialisation of seed and ware potatoes
- Cooperation with German private enterprises, in particular with agricultural machinery manufacturers and input suppliers in the field of seed potato production and multiplication, mechanization and fertilization
- Advisory services to the Mongolian Ministry of Food and Agriculture
Phase 2 (04/2016-12/2018)
Phase 2 focused on the three following topics: Resource-efficient land use, promotion of the seed production and development of risk management solutions for the Mongolian agriculture.
- Development and intensification of an agricultural technical dialogue with Mongolian public and private actors (politicians, scientists, representatives of farmers´ associations)
- Advisory services for agricultural policy decision-makers in the creation of framework conditions for a modern and sustainable agriculture focusing in line with the GAP on the three selected topics incl. support with the formulation of regulations and laws, concept development on insurance for arable farms, etc.
- Cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture, in particular with the department dedicated to strategic planning and development (legislation) as well as the departments for implementation and coordination of agricultural policies and for international relations
- Cooperation with the German Federal Plant Variety Office (Bundessortenamt) for the establishment of a control and approval of varieties in line with international standards
- Provision of technically relevant and sound information and documents to the project partners and target groups
- Organization and implementation of events as well as study tours targeting multipliers of agricultural policy, agricultural science and agri-food sector on selected topics
- Organisation of demand-oriented trainings and seminars for the staff of the Ministry, local agricultural authorities, research centres, advisory services, farmers´ associations, NGOs and agricultural enterprises as well as representatives of the agricultural insurance sector
- Close cooperation with the Mongolian Farmers Association for Rural Development
Phase 3 (01/2019-12/2021):
The project aims to establish a continuous exchange of experience and knowledge transfer between Germany and Mongolia on agricultural issues. Furthermore, the creation of legal and institutional framework conditions is to be promoted and the development of professional competences for a sustainable further development of the Mongolian agricultural and food sector is to be supported. Variety and seed management, good professional practice in arable farming and risk management are the focal points of the joint work.
- Advising on agricultural policy issues and on adapting agricultural legislation to the requirements of modern and sustainable agriculture.
- Promotion of governmental and non-governmental institutions (e.g. authorities, associations, advisory service providers, research institutions);
- Provision of specialist information and documents for project partners and target groups;
- organising events on the thematic focal points as well as carrying out specialist information tours;
- Training and further education measures for experts and executives from Mongolia's agricultural sector.