The project is designed as a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project and is funded under the BMEL Bilateral Economic Partnership Programme. Partners are the German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture, the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, Manufacturers of agricultural machinery and inputs (private business partners) and the Jiangsu Provincial Agricultural Reclamation and Development Corporation (SKIAD) - Huanghai Branch.
The aim of the project is to support the development of Chinese agriculture through training and demonstrations in the field of modern and sustainable crop production. To achieve this goal, the Chinese partner (SKIAD) provides 150 ha of land and inputs for trials and demonstration of adapted cultivation techniques and methods in crop production. The private business partners are providing agricultural machinery (harvesters, tractors, sprayers, etc.) and plant protection inputs.
Project results since 2015: (Phase 1 of the project 08/2015-07/2018 was implemented by AFC/DLG International):
- The project is known and recognised as a platform for technology transfer, demonstration and training activities
- Conversion of traditional one-sided crop rotations to adapted, more sustainable multi-crop rotations.
- Conversion to soil-conserving tillage, reduction of fertilisers and pesticides.
- Introduction of an computerised field management system for better data collection and analysis
- > 6,000 training and demonstration mandays-days in adapted and sustainable crop production methods, improved soil preparation, farm management etc..
- Introduction of webinars and digital events (e.g. field day) to replace face-to-face events during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Implementation of an intensive ToT programme with 16 selected participants
- Initiation of cooperation with scientific institutions for the construction and supervision of experiments